Monday, April 28, 2008

Eng. 658 - Week 5 Blog 1

In her essay “Toward New Media Texts” (2004), Cynthia Self contends that in order not to “run the risk of making composition studies increasingly irrelevant to students engaging in contemporary practices of communication” (72), contemporary instructors raised and trained on alphabetic texts must embrace and be open to the advantageous possibilities brought about by new media. Self develops her ideas through a fervent argument that shows the benefits of bringing technology into the classroom, markedly so through visual assignments designed for even the most novice of instructors (new to media) to administer. Selfe’s purpose is clearly to educate instructors on the inherent benefits of introducing technology into the classroom in order for us not to lose touch with students raised on and with technology. Selfe creates an informal relationship with her audience of scholars, college, high school, and elementary teachers who are concerned about how to incorporate new media into the classroom.

2 comments:

Teachor said...

Reviewed your twin blogs on "linguistics," Greg. Effective use of rhetorical precis method: concise, yet dense with useful details from actual essays. While I am on the TESL track--and actually benefit from (don't laugh too hard) the technical aspects of portions of these articles--I fail to grasp why Sommers in particular latches onto select political tiddlywinks and insists on squeezing them dry. My own blog addresses this and other flawed elements in her article, among others. Thanks for the perspective, Greg.

Heather said...

Hi Greg! I, too, enjoyed Selfe's article and feel it was the first one I have read thus far that succinctly explained the need for teachers/professors to learn and integrate new media into the classroom. My first reaction when reading these articles was, "but I don't want to use computers in my literature classrooms!!" but, now I understand the importance of it. I have enjoyed reading Selfe in the past, and I liked this article. Especially since this is what we are doing for our midterm, her clarity is appreciated.