Tuesday, April 15, 2008

658 Week 2 - Blog 2

Wysocki's position reminds me of many "composers," she is open-minded and realizes there is no universal pedagogy that will suffice for all composition classes or situations. Where her writing begins to shine is the activities section. So many times as instructors, we are thrown into a teaching situation and just told "go for it." Wysocki gives us tools to draw the students out so we can build a bridge between composition and the world they live in. Further, I see these tools as a way to show non-English majors the value of seeing the world with a different perspective. For example, if I can use Wysocki's example of someone interrupting the class in order to pique an economics major's interest in composition (24), I feel I have won half the battle. I can utilize that initial excitement to show them there is value in many things they may not know about—namely at this point that learning composition skills will help them navigate later classes and work situations.

No comments: